By Lawrence S. Cunningham
- Refers to either famous saints, akin to Joan of Arc, and lesser-known figures just like the ‘holy fools’ within the Orthodox tradition
- Ranges over topics as different because the heritage of canonization approaches, the Reformation critique of the cult of saints, and the position of saints in different spiritual traditions
- Discusses the relevance of sainthood within the postmodern era
- Two appendices describe consumer saints and the iconography of saints in art.
Read or Download A Brief History of Saints (Wiley Blackwell Brief Histories of Religion) PDF
Best catholicism books
A desirable autobiography within the spirit of Bl. John Henry Newman, Drawn from Shadows Into fact: A Memoir is the exciting tale of ways a married minister within the Disciples of Christ finally got here to be an ordained priest within the Catholic Church. This beautiful narrative of pop Ryland’s quest for Jesus Christ and the only Church He based is a non secular and highbrow adventure—from a terrible Oklahoma farm boy to a naval officer to a Protestant minister to a Harvard attorney to a married Catholic priest with 5 youngsters, twenty-two grandchildren and 3 great-grandchildren.
This publication introduces the profound reflections of Xavier Zubiri (1898-1983) at the heritage of philosophy to English-speaking audiences. As a thinker who rethought a lot of philosophy and theology, Zubiri felt it essential to be in non-stop discussion with prior thinkers either to prevent earlier blunders and to extract all that's beneficial from them.
Los angeles liturgie s’est développée sur le fondement de l. a. Parole de Dieu et de l. a. culture ecclésiale, selon sa règle de foi et de vie, et elle a été façonnée au lengthy des siècles dans des expressions diverses selon les différentes cultures, leurs besoins théologiques et leurs sensibilités. Les Pères du Concile Vatican II et le Magistère nous ont rappelé l. a. complémentarité de los angeles Sainte Écriture et de los angeles culture, qui constituent l. a. base de l. a. vie chrétienne et l’importance d’approfondir l. a. connaissance que nous en avons pour vivre plus pleinement de los angeles grâce du Christ qu’elles nous transmettent.
How did Catholicism flow from the shielding stance of the 1st Vatican Council within the 1870s to the open, responsive place of the second one Vatican Council within the Nineteen Sixties? The existence and regarded Romano Guardini exhibits the best way. In his unwavering pursuit of fact, Guardini came upon a transparent course from the certainty of religion as theoretical conviction to at least one of religion as dwelling adventure.
- Living Mission Interculturally: Faith, Culture, and the Renewal of Praxis
- BeDADitudes: 8 Ways to Be an Awesome Dad
- A New Heaven, A New Earth: The Bible and Catholicity (Catholocity in an Evolving Universe)
- Catherine Spalding, SCN: A Life in Letters
- Periodic Chart of Virtuous Living for Teens: One Element at a Time
Additional info for A Brief History of Saints (Wiley Blackwell Brief Histories of Religion)